Health Policy & Advocacy
Support nursing within the Nursing Community
Support cancer research, prevention, and education with One Voice Against Cancer (OVAC)
Support State Legislation to prohibit tanning bed use by Children with The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network ACS CAN
Support The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association SUNucate
Advocacy Headline News
2018 Health Policy Conference
Be The Voice of the Nurse Practitioner® in Washington, D.C.!
February 4-6, 2018, Washington, D.C. Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Why Choose the Health Policy Conference?
Whether you're a seasoned NP advocate or a novice in the legislative area, this is a unique opportunity to:
- Earn continuing education credits.
- Learn from government and industry experts as they discuss the priorities of Congress and the Administration and their potential impact on NPs and patients.
- Develop skills and insight necessary to advocate effectively at the federal level.
- Meet with your elected officials and staff on Capitol Hill to promote patient health through the elimination of federal barriers to practice.
- Network with NPs from your area who are interested in creating advocacy coalitions.
HPAC Purpose and Objectives
To promote awareness within the DNA of issues and concerns in the area of Health Policy and Advocacy that assists DNA and it’s members to achieve their strategic goal of effectively advocating for members, patients, and the general public by:
1. Increasing membership involvement and understanding in health policy and advocacy efforts.
2. Acting as a resource for information on issues related to health policy and advocacy.
3. Working with members to investigate, consider, report, and act on advocacy issues commensurate with DNA’s Strategic plan.
4. Facilitating membership awareness, discussions, and activities.
Majority of Americans Want Congress to Increase Medical Research Funding; Oppose President's Proposed NIH Budget Cuts
Ninety Percent of Voters Say Funding Medical Research is "Very" or "Extremely" Important! DNA and our advocacy partners at OVAC (One Voice Against Cancer) agree! Continue funding for cancer research and cancer prevention.
Read more in this press release:
OVAC Poll Release 2017
|Katrina Masterson, RN, DNP, FNP-BC, DCNP, Co-Chair||Nina V. MacDonald, RN BScN DNC|
|Kathy Gross, RN, BSN, DNC, Liaison||Sue A. McCann, MSN, RN, DNC|
|Casey E. Barker, BSN, RN, DNC||Kay Nannet, RNC, NP, DCNP|
|Karen Fairbrother, BSN CDE DNC||Heather L. Roebuck, DNP, FNP-BC, FAANP|
|Maura A. Flynn, RN, MPP, DNC||Bonita Weyrauch, RN, CWS, CCT|
|Angela Hamilton, FNP-C|
The DNA's Health Policy and Advocacy Committee has partnered with Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP to assemble documents that you can use as a tool to have your voice heard by your local legislation and Washington, DC. We hope this "toolkit" serves as an additional resource for DNA members to better advocate on behalf of their patients. Click on any of the following links to view the resources / templates available for use:
Health Policy Resources
Sample Hill Letter - Title VIII Programs
Sample Letter to the Editor - NP Scope of Practice
Sample Talking Points - UV Treatment Access
Sample Testimony - Indoor Tanning Ban for Minors
Top Ten Tips for Calling Your Members of Congress
Top Ten Tips for Effectively Using a Town Hall Meeting
Top Ten Tip for Writing to Elected Officials
The DNA Advocacy Toolkit was funded through a grant from Stiefel, a GSK company.