Purpose and Objectives:
To work closely with the National Office and the Executive Director regarding financial issues.
Requirements and Selection:
- Nurse member of the DNA; DNC or DCNP preferred.
- Ability to phrase concisely and have good listening skills.
- Background in leadership and fiscal management and/or service as a member on the Board of Directors within the past 5 years preferred.
- Membership on the DNA Finance Committee required if candidate has not been a member of the Board of Directors within the past 5 years.
- Elected by the membership for a term of two years.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the direction of all financial affairs of DNA, including all financial transactions and the investment program. Recommends necessary changes in fiscal policy.
- Attends all Board of Directors’ meetings, Annual Convention, and other meetings as requested.
- Coordinates the preparation of the annual budget, convention budget, and summer meeting budget, in conjunction with the President, President-Elect, and Executive Director.
- Reviews monthly financial reports and long-range financial planning and approves volunteer expenses and management firm invoices. Signs all official DNA checks.
- Prepares a financial report with the National Office for the Board Meetings.
- Ensures that an annual audit is conducted by a certified CPA and communicated to the membership.
- Prepares and presents a report of the financial status of the association at the Board of Directors’ meetings and at the Annual Business Meeting.
- Ensures that expense report forms are up to date.
- Visits the National Office between the time of election and convention prior to beginning term of office to orient to the new position.
- Serves as chair of the Finance Committee.
Responsibilities of the Management Firm:
- Assures proper day-to-day fiscal management of the Association according to policy and under the direction of the Treasurer.
- Issues payment for Association expenses according to policy.
- Prepares and distributes financial reports as requested.
- Oversees, assists, and facilitates all work of independent accountants and reports to the Treasurer.
- Maintains all checking accounts, as directed.
- Works with investment manager to assure optimal cash management and reports to the Treasurer.
- Assures adequate insurance coverage for the Association.